Leader Capital Project
On September 22, 2014, Minister of Health Dustin Duncan announced a $12 Million expansion/renovation to the Western Senior Citizens Home in Leader. The new integrated facility will deliver the community’s health services under one roof.
On November 3, 2016 the Ministry of Health announced the awarding of the construction tender to Wright Construction Western Inc. Construction on the new integrated health care facility is expected to begin in December 2016 with an anticipated completion date in early 2018.
An Earthcam is now set up on site at the Western Senior Citizens Home in Leader. See the progress of construction taking place in Leader.
(chronological order, top to bottom)
- The deadline for the Request for Proposals concluded on November 19, 2014. For details on the RFP process please view the November 21 news release.
- In early December, 2014 staff of the Cypress Health Region mapped patient flows in a number of areas at the Leader Hospital. This mapping will then be used to determine the design of the construction project. Read more about this patient flow mapping here.
- On January 2, 2015 it was announced that aodbt has been selected as the architect for the project.
- A team of 25 completed a 3P Event week from January 5-9, 2015. Read about the team’s work during this 3P Event here.
- Details regarding the planning for long term care services during construction of the integrated facility were announced in June 2015.
- A call for construction tenders was announced on September 21, 2015.
- An announcement was made on November 6, 2015 regarding delays in the integration process due to higher than budgeted capital construction costs.
- On January 22, 2016 the initial construction tender was cancelled due to higher than budgeted capital construction costs and will be re-issued in the near future.
- Planning and re-design work continues – June 20, 2016
- Tender documents re-issued for construction project in Leader – July 21, 2016
- The awarding of the ‘tender for construction services’ for the capital project in Leader, SK has been extended for a period of 45 days. The project was previously scheduled to be awarded to the successful bidder on or before the original deadline of October 14, 2016. This 45 day extension results in a new deadline of November 29, 2016. In order for construction to begin, the tender must be awarded to one of the successful bidders.
- Construction tender awarded to Wright Construction Western on November 3, 2016. Construction to begin December 2016.
- Construction started February 17, 2017. The construction site adjacent to the Western Senior Citizens Home in Leader, SK is now a hub of activity as construction crews have mobilized and started to create a strong foundation for the $12 million expansion project. The anticipated construction completion date of the project is in the summer of 2018. For full details on construction in Leader please see the news release.