Western Senior Citizens Home, Leader, SK

Construction to Begin on New Integrated Health Care Facility in Leader, SK

Construction on the new Leader Integrated Health Care Facility will begin in December, following the awarding of the construction tender to Wright Construction Western Inc. today.

“The Leader area has been a great partner in working to get this project to fruition,” Rural and Remote Health Minister Greg Ottenbreit said.  “Our government is committed to this important facility, which will improve patient access, enhance patient experience and ensure high-quality health care services for the people of the community.”

The capital project has experienced some delays, with the initial call for tenders cancelled in January 2016 due to significantly higher construction costs than originally anticipated.  The project’s second call for tenders was initiated this fall.

“The delay in the tendering process was unfortunate, but it resulted in additional planning and design work that has provided options to bring construction costs down to meet the available budget for the project,” Cypress Health Region CEO Beth Vachon said.  “The re-design process continued to involve patients, staff and stakeholders to ensure the new facility will integrate all of Leader’s health care services into one comprehensive facility that meets the needs of the community.  We are very excited for residents of Leader and surrounding area.”

The $12 million capital project will expand the existing Western Senior Citizens Home long-term care facility to include acute care, community health services, primary health care and ambulance services.

The provincial government is contributing $9.6 million toward the project, which represents 80 per cent of total project costs.  Local funding will cover the remaining 20 per cent.

Construction on the new integrated health care facility is expected to begin in December, with an anticipated completion date in early 2018.

(Saskatchewan Ministry of Health News release – link: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/news-and-media/2016/november/03/leader-health-facility)