The Fitness for Life program is a physical fitness and education program with the purpose of promoting healthy lifestyles and optimizing a level of physical and emotional well-being.
The free group led classes are offered at the Swift Current Stockade – Tuesdays at 9:00am and 10:00am and Thursdays at 9:00am and 10:00am.
Please call 306-778-5252 or 306-778-5118 for more information.
The exercises included in the Fitness for Life program are designed to build and improve the following:
- Cardiorespiratory system (heart and lungs)
- Musculoskeletal system (muscle strength, endurance and flexibility)
- Body composition (decrease of body fat in individuals needing to lose fat, with an increase in weight of muscle and bone) and;
Some exercises in the Fitness for Life program may include:
- Aerobic activities (walking and other aerobic activities)
- Stretching to improve muscular strength
- Flexibility exercises to improve joint range of motion, and;
The benefits that may result from participation in the Fitness for Life program, as with any program of regular exercise for the heart, lungs, muscles and joints may include the following:
- A return to work activity level
- Improved fitness ability
- Decreased body fat
- Improvements in blood fats and blood pressure
- Improvements in physiological function
- Healthy lifestyle changes, and;
- Reduction in coronary risk factors
In order to achieve the possible benefits of the Fitness for Life program, and for the program to be as safe as possible, I have a responsibility to:
- Engage in adequate warm-up prior to, and cool-down after, undertaking any physical exercise
- Follow all safety procedures as may be designated from time to time
- Report any unusual symptoms felt before, during or after exercise. Examples: feeling dizzy or lightheaded, palpitations, chest or leg pain or pressure, or generally feeling unwell
- Wear appropriate indoor walking shoes, comfortable clothing and bring a water bottle
- Attend regularly and arrive on time
- Not exercise if feeling unwell
- Always have a light breakfast before participating in exercise
For more information please call 306-778-5252 or 306-778-5118.