Food Safety

Safe Food Handling

Every year over 4 million people get sick with food related illnesses. The Public Health Inspection team at Cypress Health Regions work diligently to prevent foodborne illness in the Cypress Health Region restaurant and food facilities. . Check out the links below for information of safe food handling in your home.

The Cypress Health Region offers FOODSAFE Level 1 courses a number of times throughout the year. This course demonstrates the cause, effects, and prevention of food poisoning and other foodborne illness. Upon successful completion of the course, the student will understand and be aware of safe food handling practices, the significance of good personal hygiene, sanitation, pest control, and proper dishwashing techniques. Participants will receive a certificate following successful completion of the course.

There is a $50.00 registration fee for this course, which includes a copy of the Food Safety Code of Practice book and a thermometer supplied to each participant.

FoodSafe Schedule 2017

Restaurant Inspection Information

Now, more detailed public health inspection report information is available through Inspection InSite for over 5,000 restaurant facilities in Saskatchewan.

Cypress Health Region Public Health Officers inspect restaurant type facilities to determine compliance with The Food Safety Regulations and standards. Restaurant type facilities include, but are not limited to dining rooms, fast food outlets, caterers, mobile food vendors, ice cream stands, concession booths and public cafeterias.

To access information regarding restaurant inspection click here.

Opening a Restaurant

Opening a new business is an exciting adventure, but before you open your doors to the public or take ownerships over a new food facility there are some things you will need to know. To assist you with the process please look through all the information provided.

The following items must be submitted to the Public Health Inspector (PHI) for approval:

  • Registration Form
  • Proposed Menu
  • Building Plans
  • Cleaning & Maintenance Schedule
  • Copies of Safe Food Handling Certificates for the owner and operator
  1. Contact other agencies to ensure other applicable requirements and bylaws are met (e.g. fire inspectors, building inspectors, business licence issuers).
  2. Once the submitted, the plans will be reviewed within 14 days by the local PHI. Once the plans have been approved the PHI will contact you to schedule an initial inspection which is required to obtain approval to open and your licence will be issued.
  3. Once approval to open has been granted you may open to the public. The Licence will be issued and will be mailed to you.
    • The holder of a licence must post the licence in full public view.
    • The operator must continue to maintain the operation and maintenance of the premise in compliance with the Food Safety Regulations and any conditions the PHI may apply on the Licence.
    • The PHI will conduct routine inspections of the premise at any time or when following up on concerns or complaints to ensure compliance.
    • The licence is not transferable and must be surrendered to the Cypress Health Region if the premise is closed or sold. New owners must apply for their own operating licence.

For more information contact your local Public Health Inspector at (306) 778-5280

Farmers Markets

Farmers Markets

Market managers are required to obtain approval from the local authority prior to establishing or operating a Farmer’s Market.  The market manager must have each vendor complete the “Application for Vendor to Sell Food at Farmer’s Market” form and the Manager must submit these along with the “Application to Operate a Farmer’s Market” form to the public health authority.

If after the initial opening of the Farmer’s Market new vendors express interest in joining the market, they will be required to complete the “Application for Vendor to Sell Food at Farmer’s Market” form.

Farmer’s Markets must abide by all local bylaws and provincial and federal regulations.


  • All food vendors are required to complete the “Application for Vendor to Sell Food at Farmer’s Market” form.
  • It is recommended that vendors selling processed food and personnel handling such food attend a course in safe food handling offered by the local authority.


  • All food items offered for sale at the Farmer’s Market must meet the approval of the public health authority.
  • All meat and poultry must have been slaughtered in a licensed facility.  The SALE OF FARM-SLAUGHTERED ANIMALS OR POULTRY IS NOT PERMITTED.
  • The sale of raw or home-pasteurized milk or milk products is not permitted.
  • Vendors selling fish (commercial fisherman and fish farmers) must be licensed to do so by Saskatchewan Environment and Resource Management and must make such licence available to the market manager or the public health authority upon request.
  • Potentially hazardous foods must be handled with care.  (Refer to Appendix I for a list of approved foods.)  These foods must be maintained at certain temperatures, that is, keep cold foods cold (below 4oC or 40oF), and keep frozen foods below _18oC (0oF).  These temperatures must be maintained at all times including during storage, transportation, and when on display or prior to sale.
  • Potentially hazardous foods must also be protected from contamination by way of enclosure in display cases, packaging, or other means that prevent the customers from handling and possibly contaminating the product.
  • If the public health authority suspects a potentially hazardous food may have been prepared improperly or under unsanitary conditions, the vendor may be required to discontinue selling the product until further investigation.  The local authority may inspect the facility in which this food was prepared.  [Note:  When investigating a suspected foodborne outbreak, the public health authority may collect food samples for this purpose].
  • Foods for immediate consumption such as sandwiches, soup, hot dogs, chilli, stews, ice cream, etc. must be prepared at a facility licensed by the public health authority under the Public Eating Establishment Regulations.  Licensed facilities may be located in the market area.

Food Safety Forms

Food Safety Resources

Food Safety Websites