Tag Archives: Grand Opening

Residents Celebrate the Grand Opening of Swift Current’s New Long-Term Care Facility

Rural and Remote Health Minister Greg Ottenbreit joined residents at The Meadows today to celebrate the official opening of the award-winning, long-term care facility in Swift Current.

“This innovative new facility is an excellent example of our government’s commitment to patient-centred care,” Ottenbreit said. “With residents, families and staff all involved in the design, the result is this beautiful and modern long-term care facility that more than 200 residents are now calling home.”

The Meadows project recently received a silver award in the infrastructure category from the Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnerships (P3) during its 2016 National Awards for Innovation and Excellence in P3s. The award panel recognized the project for its home-like design and the high level of engagement from local businesses.

The new 225 bed long-term care facility is the first completed project in the province using a P3 funding model in co-operation with Plenary Group, SaskBuilds, and the Cypress Health Region. It was completed on schedule and on budget at the beginning of May 2016.

“It’s a very exciting day for our region as we officially open The Meadows, our beautiful new home-like long-term care facility,” Cypress Health Region CEO Beth Vachon said. “The Meadows has been an important project and is a vast improvement over the facilities that it replaces. I extend my sincere appreciation to all of those who have been involved in bringing this project to life.”

The transition and move into the new facility was complete mid-September this year. The Meadows replaces three aging long-term care facilities in the community – the Swift Current Care Centre, the Palliser Regional Care Centre and the Prairie Pioneers Lodge.

Grand Opening Event Held at New Maple Creek Facility on October 23

Government of Saskatchewan News Release

Maple Creek today celebrated the grand opening of the Southwest Integrated Healthcare Facility, a new facility that is providing a range of health services all under one roof.  Health Minister Dustin Duncan, Rural and Remote Health Minister Greg Ottenbreit and Cypress Hills MLA Wayne Elhard joined health care workers, patients, families and residents at the celebration.

“The new Southwest Integrated Healthcare Facility will improve the quality of care for residents in this community,” Duncan said.  “Today is a great day for the people of Maple Creek.”

“This new facility aligns with our government’s commitment to improve health care infrastructure in our province so that all patients, residents and families have the supports and services they need to live healthy lives,” Ottenbreit said.

The provincial government contributed $36.24 million toward the Southwest Integrated Healthcare Facility project which represents 80 per cent of total project costs.  Local funding covered the remaining 20 per cent.

“I’m pleased that our government was able to collaborate with the people of Maple Creek and area to reach our mutual goal of a new health care facility in this community,” Elhard said.  “I would like to congratulate the many community members, municipal councils, and organizations who have contributed their valuable time, expertise and financial resources to make this beautiful facility a reality.”

The Southwest Integrated Healthcare Facility provides acute and emergency care services, as well as long-term care.  It is equipped with 48 long-term care beds and 24 acute care beds.  The facility replaces the 21-bed Maple Creek Hospital and the 48-bed Cypress Lodge Nursing Home.

“On behalf of the Cypress Regional Health Authority board, I am pleased that patients, long term care residents and community clients will now be able to access all health care services under one roof,” Cypress Regional Health Authority Board Chairperson Lyle Quintin said.  “After a tremendous amount of planning, it’s exciting for our staff to be providing important services to the community in this brand-new facility.”

In February 2009, the Government of Saskatchewan announced the replacement of 13 long-term care facilities in the province.  The Southwest Integrated Healthcare Facility is the eleventh of thirteen projects to be completed, with one in the construction phase in Kelvington and one in the planning phase in Meadow Lake.

Photos of the grand opening event are available in the photo gallery.